Friday 5 August 2016

Unreasonable

Shopping has ceased to excite me for quite a while. Spending money on the High Street just doesn't add up. In other words, THIS is not what I've expected to get after four years:
ugh. kaput GEOX shoes in their fourth year (shoelaces removed)
You think I am old fashioned, thinking that trainers can last longer than 4, 5 years?

You think, luxury goods have spoiled me, that I am expecting too much, f.e. better ageing? In the end those so called luxury goods don't seem to be that luxurious after all.

Calculated by "cost per wear" this pair of BALLY trainers was cheaper than any pair of shoes you find in bargain bins on the High Street.
BALLY trainers in their 19th year
Yes, I can see what you can see: these shoes do look quite old. Probably because they ARE old. :-) But: they are intact! No holes, even the shoelaces made it up to their 19th year.

Conclusio: I will remain loyal to the high end stores. The standards of luxury brands have probably declined over the past decades and that a future pair of BALLY trainers will probably not make it to its 10th anniversary. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  *shrugging shoulders* Time will tell.

Meanwhile I will focus a a new product group:

  This well curated choice did take me about 10 months. LOL 
Those 10 months were a pleasant sensory journey.

Apropos time will tell: over the past 5 years the steel crown aka timekeeper as pictured below has undergone various stress test: walks in the soaking wet Scotish Highlands, off-road tracks on dusty Siberian islands. Not to forget long bicycle rides on cobble stone roads on a daily basis.  

Cost per wear: declining on a steady basis
In the long tearm any cheaper alternative would probably add up, too.

Those nice Junghans Max Bill watches? I don't see them working on my wrist after 5-10 years, due to my physical demanding lifestyle. Renewing them they would force me to return to the stores, on a frequent basis. Yes, I call every 5 years a frequent basis. ;-))  ... which leads me back to the beginning of this posting.
 
Oh, not to forget: Being a fan of timeless, classic styles helps, too. Big time!. 

5 comments:

  1. I really love your blogposts and am almost able to feel your blog. Thanks a lot!
    Hugs, Susanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Susanne, Danke dir! Means a lot, so glad you made it here.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm with you - four years is NOTHING! I'm a war baby, I expect things to last for ever. Sometimes expensive is worth it but not always. My husband's watch strap snapped after no more than two years occasional wear. It was a very stylish, integrated piece and the replacement strap would have cost £70. For a strap!! My everyday watch, eight years old, in which I garden and exercise, cost £15 and is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm with you - four years is NOTHING! I'm a war baby, I expect things to last for ever. Sometimes expensive is worth it but not always. My husband's watch strap snapped after no more than two years occasional wear. It was a very stylish, integrated piece and the replacement strap would have cost £70. For a strap!! My everyday watch, eight years old, in which I garden and exercise, cost £15 and is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70, 15 – find it difficult to keep things in proportion nowadays.

      Delete