Saturday 2 November 2013

Overwhelmed by today's harvest

Hello!

I am back from the farm and I am overwhelmed by today's harvest - in a good way. So many intense impressions, so much dirt on our hands, thank you, dear friend R., for inviting me to joind you today!
Yes, I actually did bring home all these goodies with this modest vehicle:

Many people visit the farm with their car. I would say 90% if not more. Going there by car, with all the traffic on the way home, would not be the same experience as going there by train/bike. The bike/train-trip might read as a challenge but as long as you have a basket on your front handle and/or a backbag on your back, it is really easy to handle the harvest. On the train back home we let our thoughts drift away, probably the best thing you can do after harvesting.
There is a train station nearby the farm is not far from the place where I live, which is funny, since I live close to the city centre and felt nowhere close to this:
The farm is ... not quite what I had expected. It is majestetic and nice at the same time.
See for yourself:
 The owner takes care of everything, you simply come and ... harvest!
It is a tidy farm, as much as you can call a farm tidy.
On our way to the rented field we picked up some neglected vegetables. That's when vegans become"fruitarians" ;-)
Later on I did sense mutual understanding why people would choose to live as fruitarians and not harm plants: it IS a tough one, digging out those roots and beets, onions and beets. They are stuck to the ground, strongly connected with their roots. Of course I did know how those plants grow. But I have forgotten or not cared about it until R. asked me to pull some carrots and onions. Harvesting is hard work.
 The farmer is very well organized. This place is heaven for ascendants virgo.
You can rent 1 lot (about 3 feet wide and 50 feet long) or 2 lots or 3 or 4 ... R. and her friends rent 3 lots. Many people strain strings to mark the limits of their "property"
As you walk down the lot, you come by numerous "departmens". Every lot provides the same vegetables, so when you rent 3 lots you have 3 times as many carrots.
Every lot starts with tomatoes and ends with potatoes.
 You don't really make contact with the neighbours. Everyone is working.
Harvesting vegetables is work. Can be tough. Shopping groceries is easy.

[Here the 1 hour photo-break takes place. I had too much dirt on my hands.]
Leek leaking out of the basked on my handle bar.

 I arrived back home with THIS: (excitement)
Mangel, carrots, onions (red, white, green), parsley, potatoes, beetroot, red cabbage, yellow carrots, turnips, parsnip, leek and celery ...  overwhelming!
Yes, I put everything in order. I just had to wash the green onions, but I left the dirt on the carrots. For the moment. ;-)

I enjoyed everything about this trip to the south of Vienna. R., who rents the field, loves to harvest. She loves the plants, the soil, being outside and she also loves to workout.

Do you harvest? What do you think is more fun: shopping of harvesting?

xo Paula

EDIT - sort of a footnote: 
I did some research on the owner of this farm and found articles that go back to 2007. Back then Frank Stronach got a deal with Vienna's mayor, to build a stadion and a shopping centre in this area. The contract runs until 2015 and it seems Frank is still undecided. Journalists wrote how the mayor must have been drunk when signing the contract, because there is no other logical explanation to think of why the mayor would allow anyone to ruin a large part of the usually protected so called "green belt" that encircles Vienna. Later on the city began to project new stations of the underground-network in this area. This can (must) be read as a signal that those farms will be gone within a few years.
Those who don't know Frank Stronach: Frank "was" MAGNA". He had left Austria long ago came back with a peculiar accent and founded a party - Team Frank. He has spent millions on his campaign but was disappointd in the end, because his party did not succeed as expected.  They did pass the 4%-barrier but due to his disappointment and fights inside the party he might leave politics soon. To build a stadion and a mall?

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could go with you to this farm! It looks like heaven. And I can think of six or seven recipes I would make with your goodies. All of the veggies look delicious.

    Good for you taking your bike and riding the train. Two years ago Martin and I rode our bicycles all over our area using the train and other transit but after about a year of doing it we stopped because it isn't safe. The other cars and bicycles drive/ride too irresponsibly not obeying traffic rules or being courteous. A couple of times we barely missed being in bad accidents. At our age (55) it doesn't make sense to take these kind of physical risks so now we only ride on protected trails with no cars.

    Thank you for your thoughtful comment on my blog, it is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still digesting all the impressions. Plus mangold with potatoes, carrots and leek.

      Normally I feel quite safe when I ride my bike. In the past I'd only feared to be hit by a drunk driver, mainly around Christmas.
      The possible threat is on the road all year around, now that drivers text messages and browse their phones while driving.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of owning/renting a patch of garden for urban population. Like you wrote, it gives you the ability to be independent and also teaches you to respect the hardwork that goes into the production and cultivation of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :-)
      You are so right about respecting the hardwork, especially when the farm is an organic farm.
      It is good to escape the desk where I work and meet other fields of work. Are you familiar with wwoof?
      http://www.wwoof.net/
      A former co-worker stayed at a wwoof-farm in Sweden, she has fond memories of her stay.

      Delete